Microwave Mac and Cheese
This recipe makes a creamy dish, that’s faster than any of the baked versions.
- 8 oz. dried elbow macaroni
- 1 1/4 c. milk
- 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. butter, cut into bits
- 1 1/2 c. (6 oz.) sharp Cheddar, shredded
- 4 oz. American cheese, shredded or cut into bits
- Salt and pepper
- » Cook macaroni in boiling, salted water, until al dente. Drain.» In a microwave-safe covered dish, whisk together milk and cornstarch.» Stir butter, half the Cheddar, and half the American cheese into milk.» Cover, and microwave on Medium (50%) for 5 minutes.» Whisk milk mixture until smooth. » Stir in remaining cheeses, mix thoroughly, then stir in macaroni.» Season with salt and pepper to taste.» Cover, and microwave on Medium another 6 minutes, stirring halfway through. » Give macaroni a final stir, then let it stand for 5 minutes before serving.