Mac & Cheese Stuffed Bell Peppers
These stuffed peppers make a light main course. Serve with a salad, or extra filling.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 box macaroni & cheese
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1/4 c. margarine
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 3/4 lb. mild Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1/4 c. minced fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 4 green or red bell peppers
- 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- » Preheat oven to 350 degrees.» Prepare macaroni & cheese with milk and margarine according to directions on the box, or use your favorite variation.» While macaroni is cooking, sauté shallots and garlic in a large skillet, until softened.» Add sausage to skillet. Cook, breaking into small pieces, until well browned.» Drain sausage mixture on paper towels.» When mac & cheese is prepared, stir in sausage mixture, parsley, and thyme, mixing thoroughly.» Season with salt and pepper to taste.» Cut off stem ends of bell peppers. Remove ribs and seeds, leaving peppers intact.» Fill peppers with macaroni & cheese, pressing down firmly.» Sprinkle Parmesan over top of peppers.» Arrange peppers in a baking dish, ensuring they stand up straight. Put stem ends back on top.» Pour 1 c. water into baking dish, and bake 45 minutes. Peppers should be soft when done.