Low Fat Mac & Cheese
Finally, a low fat macaroni & cheese with good texture and taste! Use a deep baking dish to keep it creamy.
- 8 oz. dried elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsp low fat margarine
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 c. skim milk
- 3/4 c. (3 oz.) low fat Cheddar, shredded
- 3 slices (2 oz.) low fat American cheese, cut into bits
- 2 oz. light cream cheese, cut into bits
- Salt and pepper
- 1.5 tbsp. grated Parmesan
- » Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
» Cook macaroni in boiling, salted water, until al dente. Drain.» In a saucepan, melt margarine over Medium-low heat.» When margarine is melted, stir in flour to make a roux. Cook, whisking constantly, 3 minutes.» Add milk slowly in a stream, while whisking. » Cook milk sauce, whisking, until slightly thickened. » Add first three cheeses to sauce. Stir cheese into sauce until completely melted.» Stir macaroni into sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.» Spray baking dish with non-stick spray.» Transfer macaroni and cheese to baking dish, patting down evenly.» Sprinkle top with Parmesan.» Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.