Mac & Cheese Paella
This dish has a variety of flavors, lots of protein, and just a bit of a bite to it.
Servings: 4 people
- 4 chicken thighs, skin removed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pinch + 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. linguica sausage, sliced diagonally 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley
- Dash of Tabasco® sauce
- 1 c. chicken stock
- 1/4 c. dry white wine
- Pinch of saffron
- 1/4 lb. medium shrimp, peeled, tail left on if desired
- 1 box macaroni & cheese
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1/4 c. margarine
- » Preheat oven to 350 degrees.» Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper, and rub with a pinch of paprika.» Heat olive oil in a large skillet over Medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.» Brown chicken and sausage in skillet until browned on all sides, about 5-10 minutes, then remove to a plate.» Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened.» Add tomato, parsley and Tabasco® sauce to skillet, and cook 3 minutes.» Add chicken stock, white wine, saffron, and remaining 1 tsp. paprika to skillet. Boil 5 minutes.» Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste.» Stir chicken, sausage, and shrimp into skillet.» Put skillet in oven and bake, uncovered, 10 minutes.» Stir well, then bake 20 minutes more.» Prepare macaroni & cheese with milk and margarine according to directions on the box, or use your favorite variation.» Serve macaroni & cheese topped with paella.
- Variations» For a spicier version, you can use spicy sausage or more Tabasco® sauce.