“This decadently rich version of macaroni and cheese is worth every bit of the effort of making it from scratch.” - Maryann Murtha, Malverne, NY
Servings: 4 people
- 8 oz. dried elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
- 1/2 c. milk (2% or whole milk, not fat free)
- 3/4 c. (3 oz.) Vermont white Cheddar, shredded
- 3/4 c. (3 oz.) Gouda, shredded
- 3/4 c. (3 oz.) Pecorino Romano, shredded
- 1/4 c. (1 oz.) Asiago, shredded
- Salt and pepper
- » Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
» Cook macaroni in boiling, salted water, until al dente. Drain.» In a saucepan, melt butter over Medium-low heat.» When butter is melted, stir in flour to make a roux. Cook, whisking constantly, 3 minutes.» Add evaporated and regular milk slowly in a stream, while whisking. » Cook milk sauce, whisking, until slightly thickened. » Add first three cheeses to sauce. Stir cheese into sauce until thoroughly combined and melted.» Stir macaroni into sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.» Spray baking dish with non-stick spray.» Transfer macaroni and cheese to a baking dish, spreading evenly.» Sprinkle Asiago cheese over top.» Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.