Macaroni & Cheese Pizza
What’s the dullest thing about pizza? The crust! So why not replace that bland doughy stuff with noodles and cheese? This recipe makes a deep-dish pizza that you eat with a fork. Just add your favorite toppings and enjoy!Serves 4 to 6
- 12 oz. egg noodles
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 c. red wine
- 14 oz. can tomato puree
- 1/2 tbsp. oregano
- 1/2 tbsp. sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 lb. Italian sausage
- 2 oz. sliced pepperoni
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- Make the “crust”» Preheat oven to 450 degrees.» Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles until al dente, and then 1 minute longer.» Drain noodles.» Pour 2 tbsp. olive oil into the empty pot. Return noodles to the pot, and toss well with oil.» Stir 12 oz. of grated Fontina into noodles, and mix well.» Spray a 12-inch ovenproof skillet or baking pan with non-stick spray. Spread noodle mixture into pan, pressing evenly across the bottom and up the sides. » Bake 13-17 minutes, until crust seems fairly firm.» Remove from oven and keep warm.
- While “crust” is baking, prepare sauce & toppings» Sauté onion in 1 tbsp. olive oil until soft and golden.» Add wine to onions, and boil until reduced by half.» Add to sauce: tomato puree, oregano, sugar, 2 tbsp. olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer sauce 15 minutes more, or until thickened.» In a separate skillet, brown sausage, stirring and breaking apart.» When sausage is well browned, add pepperoni slices and cook until lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- Make pizza» Spoon sauce on top of noodle crust, spreading evenly.» Spread remaining 4 oz. Fontina over pizza.» Top with sausage, pepperoni, and bell pepper, then sprinkle with Parmesan.» Bake pizza 5-10 minutes, until bubbling.
- Variations» Thin crust – For a thin crust you can pick up with your hands, use 8 oz. angel hair pasta. Cook according to package directions. Use just 8 oz. Fontina in the crust, add 2 beaten eggs to the crust ingredients, and bake it on a shallow pizza pan instead of in a deep skillet.» Different toppings – Use whatever toppings you like ... the possibilities are endless!» Faster & easier version – Use store-bought pasta sauce instead of making the sauce, and your pizza will be oven ready in no time.